Saturday, September 3, 2016

How Great Thou Art! (August 28, 2016)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE JANES OF THE FAMILY!!! I hope you had such a fun birthday Mindy, and for Mom, I hope you will have such a fun birthday!! I can't believe that this is my second time missing your birthdays already. I never imagined missions could go by so fast. It seems like P-day comes 3 times a week!

The weather is soooo nice now! For a while we thought we might die, but now we are loving being outside. :) This week was good, but a bit of a struggle. It seems that Satan is working pretty hard on our investigators. We have been trying to set a baptismal date with one investigator, K, and ever since we talked about that with her, things have been a little rough. On the bright side, she was able to attend the Elder's baptism yesterday (At which they randomly announced my companion and I would be singing a duet, acapella. That was an adventure...we survived). I hope and pray that she felt the Spirit at the baptism!
Me with some honeysuckles, I think...
This week our other main investigator, C, couldn't meet. Her cute little daughter has the chicken pox! So instead of meeting her, we went and heart-attacked her door. Later that day she texted us and said that she almost cried when she saw the heart attack, and that she felt so special. I am so glad! 

President Madsen wants to focus on member missionary work more. I am glad that we will be learning on how to work with members better. I have been thinking a lot about that, too. Yesterday, a couple of less-active members came to church (one of which we brought with us!). I didn't notice the other less-active member, at first, and she was sitting alone. The Bishop's wife got my attention, and told me to go sit by her so that she wasn't sitting alone. I am glad that she did that, because I hadn't noticed that she had come or that she was sitting alone, but it also got me thinking about member missionary work. As good as it is for a missionary to go sit by a less active sitting alone, it would be SO MUCH BETTER for a member to go sit beside the less active. Members can be a solid support system, and sincere friends. As much as missionaries love members, less-actives, and investigators, we aren't a solid support system, because we are only in each area for a few months. I wish that instead of the bishop's wife telling me to go sit by the less-active member, that she would have done it herself. I think that would have helped the less-active member feel more comfortable and welcome at church. So I hope that you all are always noticing others who may need a friend, and being that friend for them. 

For some fun news, as part of Sister J's training, it is her "senior week" this week! I think she will do a great job. She is really a wonderful missionary, and I am really thankful to be serving with her.
Pretty peppers -- awesome fall color scheme!
Other funny story: I mentioned that we brought a LA with us to church on Sunday. She is the CUTEST Philipina grandma named R. I love her. I have really come to LOVE Philipinas on my mission. They are so great! Anyway, in order to get R and bring her to church, we have to ride a bus for an hour in the mountains. (That is why she doesn't come to church, because it is physically VERY difficult.) R has the brightest faith and countenance. Every time we meet, I can feel God's love so strongly, I can't really describe it. Anyway...for the funny part: When I first came to this area, she asked where I was from and I told her Utah. After I told her that, her jaw dropped and in all sincerity she said, "Oh, how great thou art!" Then we all busted up laughing. :)

Me and R. Love her!
I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!

Well, time for me to go. But I love you all! Make it a great week! As Mindy once told me, " You can choose to be happy or sad. If I were you, I would choose to be happy, or else I will slobber on you." Hahahahaahah

Love,
Sister Beckett

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so wise about so much! Very true about member missionaries doing a lot of good for non members/investigators /less actives. How great though art, indeed! That sums up Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try stop fixing 'though' to 'thou' above because it's posting like a hundred times then I have to delete. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try stop fixing 'though' to 'thou' above because it's posting like a hundred times then I have to delete. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so wise about so much! Very true about member missionaries doing a lot of good for non members/investigators /less actives. How great though art, indeed! That sums up Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm catching up on lots of these letters today, and would be commenting on them all, they inspire me and uplift me and I'm grateful for you, sweet Allie! That letter about being a gardener and sewing the seeds was beautiful.. and that pic up there of you by the orange flowers reminds me so much of the pic of your Mom on her mission by some pretty orange flowers too.. so cool! Love you!

    ReplyDelete