Friday, March 11, 2016

HEY THERE! March 6, 2016

Dear family who I love love love,

This week I was a tad homesick. I know it is pretty much spring at home, and I just keep thinking about how the daffodils and tulips are probably poking their little green bodies out of the ground. And I think about how maybe the grass is getting green, and the sky is probably a nice bright blue. And you can probably look outside and see the stars at night! I miss that! This week everything has been so grey and polluted. Right now we are having yellow dust storms (I read about this before I came to Korea) It is when yellow dust from China blows into Korea. Apparently it isn't that good to breath, but whatevs. I really miss seeing the stars. I think when I come back home I am going to be blown away at how bright and clear the night sky is! And since I live in such a city (practically all of Korea is like this) I never see grass or flowers. So this week I was a little bit sad about that! 

I have also been thinking about Nathan Boyfriend Beckett going on his mission! I can't believe that it is so soon! So maybe next week will you get your call?! I have to not think about you leaving on your mission, or else I get depressed...three years with out seeing you might kill me! AHHH!!! So please come to Korea on your mission! And dang, sorry I am on a roll about Nate, but you got a scholarship from swimming?! WHAT A STUD! 

Do you remember that my stake president told me that on my mission I would meet a 19 year old girl who needs me to help her and I would have a flash back of me sitting in his office and him telling me that?! WELL THAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK! We were doing ping-pong in the city again, and I saw this girl just watching me and watching me. So I went and talked to her and BAM I thought of me sitting in my stake president's office and him telling me all of that. So I asked her her age (already knowing it would be 19!) and YUP, she is 19! We talked for like thirty minutes and we have an appointment to meet on Saturday. YAY!!! Maybe this isn't the girl, but from my stake president's description, I think it is her! Hahaha. Even if it isn't the one, I am gonna do my darn best to teach her the gospel. She is a professional golf player here. Fun fact!! Her name is 육은비 (pronounced Yook Un Bee). So please keep the prayers rolling for her! Also, at the ping-pong activity, I got another fan club going. Do you know how awkward it can be to be a tall American girl in Korea? Pretty awkward. These teenage girls just kept touching my hair and poking my face, and they begged me to wink, so I winked and they started SCREAMING. Slightly awkward. 

ANYWAY...Here is a picture of me slightly sad because I just want a blue sky and plants and nice nature sometimes. But, the city life is fun too!



OH YEAH!! I GOT THE EASTER PACKAGE!! Thank you so so so much! You guys are angels! I loved the letters, and pictures, and food, and cute jacket thing. You are all so thoughtful. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Yesterday was one of those days where I realize just how different my life is than it used to be. In Korea, old, OLD, ANCIENT people walk around puling giant carts picking up cardboard or plastic so that they can recycle it and get money. Yesterday on our way home from church we saw the tiniest oldest lady pulling a bunch of cardboard up a hill, so we decided to help her pull the cart and pick up paper and cardboard. As we helped her and talked to her, we found out that she collected this cardboard so that she could buy cigarettes. SAD!! SO SAD! And then...SHE PICKED UP A USED CIGARETTE off the street and tried to start smoking it. My Ninja Korean companion karate-chopped it out of her hand (well not really, but she made her NOT smoke it). It was so sad! And then I took a bunch of pictures of her. She was so cute, and we really love her and want to help her, but she doesn't want the gospel. She just wants ciggs!



In Korea they demolish business alllll the time. One day a shop is there, the next day...this!

Also, I walked through a traditional Korean market and it was CRAY CRAY! Just giant pig heads everywhere! And meat just hanging from the ceiling everywhere! And this lady was just stirring a giant bowl of soup and she kept pulling pig ears and snouts and mouths and intestines out of the soup. AHHH! Please don't feed me that!


Sorry yall, I have to go! :( But I love you sososososossosoooSOSOSOSOSOSOSo much!

And, my favorite quote of the week:

"When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power." -Ezra Taft Benson

Make obedience a thing you WANT to do. I am learning that that makes life easier and happier, and it helps us see that everything God does and commands really is to help us be happy and successful. LOVE YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Do they do fortune cookies there? Yours would be "that was not chicken you just ate..."
    Love ya Sista Beckett!
    Benjamin & Michele Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wo is me. And I'm talking, WOAH! I can't handle the pig-parts market. Yucky!
    I love that so many Koreans are fascinated with Allie being such a tall, white person. I wonder what's behind the winking thing? My guess is that they wanted to know if her eyelids were real (since they all get eyelid surgery )!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wo is me. And I'm talking, WOAH! I can't handle the pig-parts market. Yucky!
    I love that so many Koreans are fascinated with Allie being such a tall, white person. I wonder what's behind the winking thing? My guess is that they wanted to know if her eyelids were real (since they all get eyelid surgery )!

    ReplyDelete