Monday, October 12, 2015

This is Allie's Mom in red.  Allie emailed last night, and we just randomly went back and forth about her first week in Korea. So there is not an actual letter to post, but just snippets of our conversation online with her. She also took pictures of her journal pages so that she wouldn't have to re-write everything, so I will put some of her comments from her journal here today as well.  Please keep her in your prayers--I think she is shell shocked right now with everything being so new and different.  She will be fine, but her letter is not quite as bubbly as usual. If any of you write to her, can I suggest she would probably love an actual letter in the mail? She has so little time on email that she can't read them all and answer them, but a letter in the mail she can keep with her and read the hard copy when she is away from the computer place. Foreign stamps are $1.20 to get to Korea.  Her address is on the side of the blog here. Thanks, that is just a side note from Mom...now here are some of the things Allie shared with us after being in Korea for almost 6 days.

My trainer, Sister W. She is a hard worker!

I am serving in an area called Cheom Dom.  It is beautiful and has lots of trees. So far we literally walk around for miles all day. Thanks for fasting for me yesterday. I fasted too. I am posting pics of my journal so that you can read more details than I can write. Sorry I don't know if I will write a big email this week because I am just sending my journal. My trainer and I are opening this area (well there are other missionaries here but we are a new set of missionaries) so we literally have nobody to teach. We just walk the streets ALL DAY. 

The members here are really awesome. They are so nice! There is one family that I LOVE. It is a single mom with three daughters and she reminds me so much of mom. When we visited her the other day, she was watching a movie with her daughter on a laptop. At conference (fun fact, I watched it again this weekend) she just sat with her daughter and rubbed her back and stuff and I was super jealous.


Our bathrooms are interesting, we have no shower curtain so everything gets soaked. The hand sink and shower head are connected; not sure how to explain...

Koreans really do eat and sleep on the floor, so that's cool! I love how Korea's streets are covered with fruit and vegetable vendors and street food.  I have a lot of cool things I need to try. Here are some I've already tried:

1.  Asian Pears--they are huge! They are a mix between an apple and a pear and they almost taste like nothing, but they're GOOD!

2. Grapes - Not my favorite. They taste so weird here! You pop this gooey inside out of the outside purple shell, and you spit out the seeds. It does NOT taste like normal grapes.

3. Yogurt - Not sure why it's so good here, but it is!

4.  Milk - It's like sweet and slightly buttery!

5. Rice cakes - They have this cool machine on the street where this man puffs them and gives us samples.  MMMM!  Shaped like hearts!

I hope and pray I can be blessed with the gift of tongues and a love for the people and the culture. I've already been rejected here more times than I have in my whole life!  It kinda hurts.

Me and my sweet dongbanja. I miss her sooooo bad.

There is a lot of trash on the streets.

(Next day) Good news is that I'm loving Korea even though I don't understand much. We have the nicest members! Tonight at FHE with 3 recent converts, I tried a new fruit. In English it's called percimen (that is how Allie spelled it...I googled a persimmon, but it looks different than her pictures,so I have no idea what she is eating!  ;) Percimen is quite lovely, but looks sick!  We also had their cool pears. Yum!

Here are the "percimens" (persimmons?)
Today I ate the hottest ramen noodles ever. Tears were literally flowing from my eyeballs! A recent convert lady gave me her kimbop - Korean sushi- because she felt bad for me that I was crying.  We eat food a lot from a place called "Mini Mart." It's like gas station food. That's where I bought my ramen. I also bought blueberry milk, which was the bomb.



I love you! Thanks for your help!!! I will keep going. I will survive! You are all giving me the encouragement that I needed!!!  Thank you all, SO SO much. This was just the boost I needed to continue on. I love you all, I promise I do have a testimony and I am glad to be here! Keep going strong, fam! I love you all! Time to go.

Love, Allie

1 comment:

  1. I remember having many of these same thoughts and feelings. It was (for me) quite a culture shock. She will learn to love it even more, and I promise that the food will be quite yummy by the time she finishes here mission. I loved Korean food and still do. I remember buying some store bought peanuts, biting in to one and there being a worm. Such memories and experiences that I will never forget and shaped my whole mission experience!

    The "pears" are delicious, you can get them at Costco. The spiciness of the food will become easier (at least it did for me) and enjoyable. Kimchi is the bomb, love it!

    ReplyDelete