Friday, October 30, 2015

The Gift of Tongues October 25, 2015

Well....this week I received the gift of tongues. Not the gift where I speak Korean...I am talking about the gift where I gag down food. I will start with the not scariest and end with the scariest.
FIRST: Shrimp. I love shrimp, but I have never had the kind they have here! Here in Korea they have live seafood outside of every store, so you just buy it and kill it yourself, I guess. So we went to a member's house this week and had these giant delicious shrimp, but they still had legs and a head and stuff. When we ripped their heads off, blood was everywhere, and I faked myself into believing it was marinade. It was pretty bloody. It squirted Sister S in the face! Hahaha but the shrimp really was fabulous.
SECOND: Chicken. A WHOLE CHICKEN. Like the neck and everything. And you just have to eat the whole dang chicken. I am pretty squeamish, you know! SO that was pretty brave.. But just wait...
THIRD: FISH OVARIES! OKAY WHAT THE WHO KNEW THOSE WERE A THING!!! It is a good thing I fake ate fish eggs with Bri! A member bought us this soup and it wasn't just a bowl of soup...we each received like our OWN POT!! I had know idea what I was eating, and I didn't let my trainer tell me until an hour afterwords. We ate fish eggs. Not that bad. BUT LET ME TELL YOU, OVARIES AND EGGS ARE DIFFERENT. They stuff a thin skin (kind of like a sausage skin) FULLL of fish row (their eggy ovary things). They are each the size of like a golf ball. I literally probably ate 9 of the sausagey things. I was praying hard core and I wished that you all could see me eat them. I picked out all of the grossest looking stuff in the soup and ate it first. I was sooooo brave.
FOURTH: FISH INTESTINE!!!!! Also in that same soup. I can't even tell you or describe how it looked...It literally looks like a brain. IDK how big this fish was, but the intestine was impressive. Google some pics!!! IT IS NOT MY FAVE!! It literally was a blessing from heaven that I just chewed and swallowed. It was insane....

I took this pic right before I came to the computer lab. My hair looks cool, huh? Sister S did it. I love her!

FUN KOREAN FACTS:
1. It always looks like a gray sky here because of pollution. :(

2. Koreans increase in age at the new year, not their birthdays. Also, when you are born when you are 1, not zero. So when people ask my age here, I say 21! EWWW OLD!

3. It's a huge no-no to wear shoes on the floor. Like HUGE!! But since I live with all Americans,one time I decided to run on our floor with shoes. You should have seen how they flipped. HAHAHAHAHA They think I am Satan.

4. Missionaries walk SO MUCH here. The other sisters who we live with wore a pedometer the other day and clocked in at 12 miles. Wowww!

5. Koreans get plastic surgery ALLL the time. People ask me if I got a nose job and an eye job. It makes me feel good to know they love my face...but it is weird that they notice that type of stuff! They can't believe how big my eyes are. hahah.

6. Hiking clothes are the style right now. WHY? IDK. Everyone walks around with hiking clothes and hiking sticks and hiking hats and all of the store mannequins wear hiking gear. It is hilarious.

This pic is of me on these rocks that we hop over a river on to get to the apartment building of a member!

This week I have worked on being more faithful and more cheerful. In 2 Nephi I have noticed a pattern of talking about being happy. In 2 Nephi 9:21 it says "Let your hearts rejoice." I think the key work in that is "LET". We are the ones who choose whether to be happy or not. I am going to start choosing happiness more! In 2 Nephi 10:20 it says not to "hang down your heads." Once again, God WANTS us to be happy! Show Him you love Him by obeying him, and choosing to be happy. Third, 2 Nephi 10:34 says to CHEER UP your hearts. Heavenly Father has blessed us with the COOLEST PLAN EVER!!! If we can keep an eternal perspective, we can always find a reason to smile!!

I love my companion, Sister W!  She is awesome and such a hard worker!

Along with that, I would like to share this quote by President Hinkley: " You can be excellent in every way. There is no need for you to be a scrub. Respect yourself. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Do not dwell on unkind things others may say about you. Polish and refine whatever talents the Lord has given you. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and smile on your face but with great and strong purpose in your heart. Keep trying. Be believing. Be happy. Don't get discouraged. Things will work out." 

I have also been pondering this quote from Corrie TenBoom that Mindy wrote in my book, " Worry does not empty tomorrow of it's sorrow, it empties today of its strength." My goal is to TRUST Heavenly Father more and stop being a worry wart. Worrying does nothing but make me feel sick. So here's to having FAITH instead of fear!!

Well...I have to go and I am really sad about that!! But I love you all SOOOOO much.  PS, fun fact: every Friday night we teach English class.

Sad news--next week I do not get to email on P-day. :( On the bright side, our mission president is taking us on an all day hike to see the fall leaves! 

Until next time!

Love
Beckett Jamae

5 comments:

  1. I love Beautiful, Positive, Brave Allie Girl!! What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a letter. Love the eating adventure.

    It's really interesting how in America we excuse folks (guests) from eating anything that might not be to their liking, yet in Korea it is so offensive to not eat everything that is placed in front of you. Unlike here you can dish up your own meal, there it is given to you.

    Since many of Korean's are poor, it is with great sacrifice that they feed the missionaries. Every time you enter a Korean home you offered something to eat, even during a teaching/proselyting experience. It is their culture, and you just don't decline. You eat it ALL.

    Thank you Sis. Allie for the humor and laughter. Your letter makes me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat, Teresa, to read your perspectives on this. Thank you for reminding me of the great sacrifice it is for people to share their food. I will email that to Allie if that is okay with you. I love your comments!

      Delete
    2. The economy isn't doing quite as well as it was 10-15 years ago, but they aren't that poor. Food sharing is definitely a huge part of the culture.

      Delete
  3. I can tell you why hiking clothes are in (in October)--because it's fall! Hiking is like Korea's national pastime. They're practically competitive about it.

    ReplyDelete